Wexford Volunteering Information Service – Data Protection Policy
Purpose of this policy
This policy is a statement of Wexford Volunteering Information Service (WVIS) commitment to protect the rights and privacy of individuals and compliance with the Data Protection Acts.
The Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 (the “Data Protection Acts”) lay down strict rules about the way in which personal data is collected, accessed, used and disclosed. The Data Protection Acts permit individuals to access their personal data on request, and gives individuals the right to have their personal data amended if found to be incorrect.
Inquiries about this Data Protection Policy should be made to: The Manager, Wexford Volunteering Information Service (VIS), Block A Spawell Road, Co Wexford.
Collection of information.
We collect and use information for use on the following services:
- To gather statistics on the age, gender and nationality of volunteers.
- For Volunteer Placement Services.
- For Garda Vetting Services
- For Training services.
- For advertising, marketing, direct recruitment and public relations exercises.
- For personnel, payroll and pension administration services.
- To update databases within Wexford Volunteer Centre.
- To enhance or improve your experience on our Services.
- To provide you with online services.
Data Protection Principles
We will carry out our responsibilities under the Data Protection Acts in accordance with the following eight Data Protection principles:
1.Obtain and process information fairly. WVIS will obtain and process your personal data fairly and in accordance with statutory and other legal obligations
2.Keep it only for one or more specified, explicit and lawful purposes: WVIS will keep your personal data for purposes that are specific, lawful and clearly stated to you. Your personal data will only be processed in a manner compatible with these purposes and as outlined to you.
3.Use and disclose only in ways compatible with these purposes: WVIS will only disclose personal data that is necessary for the purpose/s or compatible with the purpose/s for which Wexford Volunteering Service collects and keeps the data as outlined to you.
4.Keep it safe and secure: WVIS will take appropriate security measures against unauthorised access to, or alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal data and against its accidental loss or destruction.
5.Keep it accurate, complete and up to date: WVIS will adopt procedures that ensure high levels of data accuracy, completeness and that your data is up to date.
6.Ensure it is adequate, relevant and not excessive: WVIS will only hold your personal data to the extent that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive.
7.Retain for no longer than is necessary: WVIS have a retention policy for your personal data.
8.Give a copy of his/ her personal data to that individual, on request: WVIS adopt procedures to ensure that data subjects can exercise their rights under the Data Protection legislation to access their data when permitted by law.
Overall responsibility for ensuring compliance with Data Protection Acts rests with Wexford Volunteering Service. However, our responsibility varies depending upon whether we are acting as either a Data Controller or a Data Processor. All employees, volunteers and clients of Wexford Volunteering Service who separately collect, control or process the content and use of personal data are individually responsible for compliance with the Data Protection Acts. The Data Protection Coordinator in Wexford Volunteering Service coordinates the provision of support, assistance, advice and training to ensure that Wexford Volunteering Service is in a position to comply with the legislation. They will liaise with the Data Protection Commissioner’s Office for guidance on specific cases.
Security of data: Wexford Volunteering Service takes seriously its security obligations in respect of your personal data under the Data Protection Acts to prevent unauthorised access to, or alteration or destruction of personal data in our possession.
Right of Access Where you have provided us with your personal data you have a right to be given a copy of your personal data in accordance with section 4 of the Data Protection Acts subject to certain exceptions. To request a copy of your personal data please read Wexford Volunteering Information Service Access Request Policy before completing an Access Request Form and sending it to us at Data Protection Coordinator, Wexford Volunteering Information Services. Block A Spawell Road, Co Wexford.
Please note the following important requirements:
- We reserve the right not to process an access request that is not made in our Access Request Form format;
- We do not accept access requests via telephone, email or text message, right of rectification or erasure. If we hold incorrect information about you, which was originally submitted by you, you have the right to have the data amended. To request your right to rectification and/or erasure please send your request to us in writing at Data Protection Coordinator, Wexford Volunteering Information Services. Block A Spawell Road, Co Wexford together with: 1.Your name and address. 2. A description of the specific personal data you wish rectified.
- If you request an erasure of your personal data, all your data will be erased subject to the following important notice. We are not required to rectify or erase your data where to do so would prevent you from meeting your obligations to us or where we are required to process (including retaining) your personal data for a lawful purpose in accordance with the Data Protections Acts.
Wexford Volunteering Information Service (VIS) trusts, that you appreciate, that we respect your right to privacy and that our honesty and integrity will mean that you will continue to trust us with your personal data, knowing that we will not use it for any inappropriate purpose.
Procedures and Guidelines: This Data Protection Policy is supplemented (and may be amended)
Review: This Data Protection Policy will be reviewed regularly in light of any legislative or other relevant developments.
I have read, understood and accept the terms of this Data Protection Policy
Name: ______________________________ Date: ______________________